Software asset management (SAM) is the process of managing and controlling software licenses, usage rights, and access to software. SAM tools help organizations to manage their software assets more efficiently.
Some Use Cases for Software Asset Management
SAM can be used in a wide range of scenarios such as:
- Providing better compliance with laws, regulations, and contractual obligations.
- Preventing vulnerabilities in the network by tracking all versions of software on the network.
- Improving internal security by restricting access to prohibited software.
- Assist in purchasing software licenses by giving an accurate historical overview of software usage.
Software Asset Management in ServiceOps Asset Manager
ServiceOps asset management offers robust SAM capabilities like auto-discovery of software, software license management, tracking software usage, and creating software rules.
Auto-discovery of Software Assets
Leverage agent and agent-less methods to get complete visibility of software in your network. View all software in a tabular view and perform a drill-down to their properties.
- Save time in maintaining software asset inventory.
- Correlated software assets with incidents, changes, problems, contracts, etc.
Track Software Usage
Track the total duration used for a particular application across the network, grouped by individual machines. Translate this information in the form of a report using the reporting module.
- Maintain strict financial control through evidence base spending.
- Flag unusual usage patterns of specific software.
Create Software Rules
Technicians can create rules to put specific software on the prohibited list. A notification goes to a predefined set of people whenever prohibited software is found.
Apart from this, there can be rules to consolidate software into a single suite; For example, different versions of MS products can be consolidated into a single software suite called Microsoft Office.
- Improve internal security by keeping specific software out of the network.
- Easily manage multiple versions of the same software.
Manage Software Licenses
ServiceOps Asset Manager supports the storing and management of the following types of software licenses:
- Single Machine
- Multiple Machine
- Unlimited Machines
- Single User
- Volume Users
- Unlimited Users
- Free License
- Enterprise Subscription
Please refer to our product documentation to know more about the above-mentioned types.
Access License Details
ServiceOps displays all the licenses in a tabular view with the drill-down ability to view the details of each license.
See where the licensed products are installed.
Allocate License to Users
Assign a specific license to multiple users. Set notification when someone uses unauthorized software on their system.
Track License Utilization
Get notification when a licensed software is utilized below a set threshold and similarly when it’s over-utilized.