AIOps — a term coined by Gartner back in 2017 has emerged as one of the hottest talking points in the realm of ITOps. Since its inception, its adoption by large enterprises has gone up from 5% to 30% in 2023. This impressive 6X growth is a clear indicator that AIOps is here to transform how businesses manage their IT operations.
But what is it that makes AIOps special? What are the benefits of AIOps that businesses are looking to leverage. If you also have similar questions, read this blog to get answers to all of them.
What Is AIOps?
According to Gartner, AIOps (Artificial Intelligence for IT Operations) platforms enhances IT operations directly or indirectly by combining and utilizing:
- Big data
- Machine learning
- Advanced analytics technologies
The central functions of an AIOps platform includes:
- Data ingestion from multiple sources agnostic to vendor or source
- Executing real-time analysis at point of ingestion
- Implementing historical analysis of stored data
- Taking steps based on analytics and insights
How Does AIOps Works?
As IT operations management becomes more challenging and complex, traditional operations management tools are finding it difficult to keep up with the ever-growing volumes of data. AIOps brings speed, accuracy, and other benefits to telemetry data.
The working mechanism of AIOps generally involves the following steps.
The first step is when AIOps collects data from a variety of sources like:
- Application logs
- Event data
- Configuration data
- Network traffic
- Performance metrics
It analyzes the collected data with ML algorithms like:
- Anomaly detection
- Pattern detection
- Predictive analytics
These algorithms help find abnormalities along with separating real issues from false alarms or noise.
Root Cause Analysis
AIOps performs root cause analysis to find the origins of the problem. This analysis helps the IT operations team to prevent the recurrence of problems as they can always refer back to its root causes.
After root cause analysis, AIOps notifies and provides relevant information to the concerned teams and individuals. It helps teams to efficiently collaborate in spite of geographical distances between them.
Additionally, it also helps preserve event data that can prove to be essential for the identification of similar future issues.
AIOps speeds up incident response and reduces manual intervention by great extent with automated remediation of issues.
These automated responses can be:
- Restarting a service
- Resource scaling
- Executing predefined scripts
Top 6 Core Benefits of AIOps
1. Saves Time & Effort by Automating Repetitive Tasks
IT operations involve many repetitive tasks. This not only results in wastage of valuable time but also leads to more mistakes. The artificial intelligence aspect of AIOps helps in automating various such tasks like:
- Monitoring network performance
- Identifying anomalies
- Predicting potential system failures
- Optimizing resource allocation
This automation of repetitive tasks relieves your IT team from these tedious duties, allowing them to redirect their efforts and time towards more important tasks like problem-solving and developing strategic planning. This ultimately improves overall efficiency and productivity.
2. Reduced IT Spends
One of the major benefits of AIOps is that it helps you reduce IT spending considerably by automating several IT operations.
Let’s have a look at them one by one.
Proactive Issue Detection
- AIOps uses machine learning to not only detect but also prevent issues that could potentially escalate into costly outages.
- AIOps reduces downtime which ultimately minimizes the associated financial losses.
Lower Operating Costs
- AIOps automation not only improves efficiency but also lowers operating costs.
- AIOps also alleviates the financial burden caused due to manual maintenance and delayed incident resolution.
Reduction in Manual Errors
- AIOps automation reduces manual errors, ensuring fewer costly mistakes.
3. Better Collaboration
AIOps solutions are event source and data agnostic. What it means is that it ingests and analyzes data from various sources and generates a unified and standardized view of incidents and events. This output is not tied to any department or use case, enabling everyone to speak the same data language across departments.
These shared insights also help teams to align their efforts and take data-driven decisions.
Overall, AIOps helps to improve:
- Operational efficiency
4. Predictive Analytics
AIOps empowers you with predictive analytics capabilities which helps you to forecast potential future events that might affect the performance, availability, and problems.
Predictive analytics helps you with capacity planning, ensuring that the IT estate is used in the best optimized manner. This mainly involves adding:
- Adding or reallocating resources based on anticipated demand and usage patterns
- Boosting compute for a VM (virtual machine) running a business critical application
- Increasing cloud storage to accommodate growing storage demand
AIOps takes the large collection of data to build predictive models that proactively address those issues that can have a negative impact on your business.
5. Enhanced Security
AIOps enhance security in the following 3 ways.
Proactive Threat Detection
AIOps proactively detects threats by analyzing historical data, ensuring enhanced security.
AIOps establishes a baseline behavior and then sends alerts whenever there’s any deviations. This helps in detecting insider threats.
Reduced False Positives
AIOps assists security teams to focus on real threats by minimizing false alarms and preventing alert fatigue.
6. Faster Mean Time to Repair (MTTR)
One of the biggest benefits of AIOps is its ability to correlate operations data from various sources. This enables you to not only in anomaly detection but also to execute root cause analysis and propose faster actionable solutions.
This helps businesses to achieve their MTTR goals which previously were thought impossible to achieve.
How Does AIOps Benefits Your Organization
1. Enhanced IT Staff Efficiency
AIOps enhances IT staff’s efficiency in the following ways.
- AIOps offers improved visibility into the systems’ states, enabling teams to manage their IT infrastructure monitoring in a better way.
- AIOps centralizes analytical insights and provides context-based analysis, enabling teams to not only collaborate efficiently but also make quicker and more informed decisions based on a reliable and consistent source of data.
- AIOps automates routine and repetitive tasks, streamlining operations and reducing manual efforts.
2. Better User Experiences
- AIOps delivers greater system reliability and uptime, resulting in enhanced user experience
- AIOps offer real-time insights into digital experiences which align with what users are trying to achieve.
3. Get Maximum ROI on All Hybrid Cloud Technologies
Today, organizations are adding more and more tools and open-source solutions to leverage specific benefits. In such a scenario, AIOps delivers them with not only observability but also automatic analysis for all these tools and technologies. With this greater observability and contextual analysis, businesses can maximize ROIs on all these hybrid cloud technologies.
4. The Ability to Preempt Outages
AIOps enables you with the capability to not only detect but also to fix issues before they become outages. Couple that up with automated incident detection and response which allows teams to reduce MTTR and improve uptime. The combination of these two allows businesses to prioritize important issues, enabling them to work smarter rather than harder.
After reading this blog, I am sure you would want to leverage all the mentioned benefits of AIOps. And it’s not that tough. All you need is a robust AIOps platform capable of delivering all those benefits. And if you’re searching for one, we have the perfect suggestion for you — Motadata AIOps platform.
This enterprise-focused platform equips IT teams to proactively prevent service disruptions in complex IT environments. It achieves this by unifying data collection, full-stack monitoring, and efficient remediation processes, which include metrics, dependency data, events, and traffic & logs data ingestion.
Additionally, Motadata AIOps offers clear visibility into network components across cloud and on-premises systems, allowing for swift detection, isolation, and resolution of network issues before they affect IT service delivery.